Tuesday, 18 August 2026

This New Life!

This New Life!

Romans 6:5 AMPC
[5] For if we have become one with Him by sharing a death like His, we shall also be [one with Him in sharing] His resurrection [by a new life lived for God].

As you read the chapter before the one from where the verse above is taken, you get the clear impression that sin, though powerful, was not a match for the grace of God that brought salvation to man. Yes, man sinned and had fallen short of the glory of God, but the same God, in an act of mercy, provided a way of escape from sin, and a pathway to forgiveness, redemption, and eternal life with God . It did not matter how deep the sin was, how red the stain was, or how heavy the burden was; the blood of Jesus was sufficient to take away all the guilt and provide peace, joy and comfort that all is well. Tell me who or what else can guarantee such an outcome.

It is in the light of this understanding that the verse above can be understood. As the first verse of the chapter from where the verse above is taken from makes clear, the grace of God cannot be an excuse ro remain in sin. As we have come into this new phase of mercy where our sins are forgiven, our past cleansed and totally fogotten, and the future fully insured for all eternity, there is a risk that one becomes complacent and entitled, and stop depending on the same grace that brought you into this new life. As that first verse says, we cannot remain in sin in order that God's grace may cobtinue to multiply and overflow.  God forbid that I make a mess of something that I could not ewen earn in the first place. 

An understanding and appreciation of what God has given me should make me careful and intentional about my decisions, actions and reactions. What Jesus gave was His life; He gave up His glory and took on shame; not just any kind, but the type that led to mockery and disgrace. He was not the one who sinned yet God, in His righteousness, could not look at His own Son as He hung on the tree for my sin. This hatred of sin must make me both careful and deliberate about avoiding sin. The One who died on the cross took all the power and attraction of sin to the cross, nailed them all to the cross, wiped the slate clean with His blood, and invites us all to walk in the new life He offers. 

Of course, the audience defines the impact of the message. The right audience is the one to determine the right response. This is not a verse for general application, or for the uncommitted majority. If indeed I know who I am now as a result of what I have been given, it will definitely shape my response. The death of Jesus on the cross is an invitation for me to join Him in that sacrifice. If I identity with Him in that death, I have also died to the power of sin and have become a partaker of the divine power to live above the dictates and limits of sin. If I have died to sin, I can look forward to also sharing His resurrection. It will not happen any other way. Do you have that new life? Do I? God's time of favour is here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment