Thursday, 27 August 2026

Right Treasure 2!

Right Treasure 2!

Matthew 6:20-21 AMPC
[20] But gather and heap up and store for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust nor worm consume and destroy, and where thieves do not break through and steal; [21] For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

As we saw yesterday, there is a need to keep an eye on the future, even as you strive to make impact here on earth. A good steward of resources does not eat everything he sees. Like a good farmer, there is a right balance between seed for sowing and seed for eating. You have immediate needs to be met, but you also have future needs that may arise. If you eat all you make or earn all at once, how do you plan for the uncertain future? Just think of the land of Egypt in the days of Joseph, and consider what would have become of the nations of the world at that time if Joseph had not overseen the storage of food in the years of plenty.

One major point noted in the devotion for yesterday was that as long as what you have and hold can be stolen or tampered with on earth, it has no eternal value. That is the start point for our reflection for today. Jesus also makes sure that He does not leave us without guidance on what is important and eternal. I note that in order to gather, heap up and store for myself treasures in heaven, the right way to prepare is from down here on earth. Pray, what do I look forward to in eternity if there has been no investment of time, resources and faith in the right direction and on the right things?  What will speak for me in eternity if there is no earthly preparation?

As I work down here, I must know that all my actions, decisions and interactions are all going towards my eternal destination. With God, nothing is ever wasted. I note that I am not expected to fold my arms and just watch the world pass me by, but I must use all of God that I know and have to change the world around me to look like the place I am headed. When we pray the Lord’s prayer, asking that the will of God be done on earth as it is done in heaven, this is a part of it. My actions and reactions must bring heaven down to earth and make the gospel of Jesus attractive to the people around me. It is by His light in me that the world is drawn to His light.

It really matters who the focus is. I am not distracted by the provisions and privileges the world gives me, because I know they are temporary. My heart is fixed on Jesus and all He has for me. He also knows the power and impact of a focused life, so He gives me all that I need for life and Godliness. He takes over my heart so that there is room for no one or anything else. If He is the treasure of my heart, He knows that He has control, and He can direct as He pleases. Let that be the first thing I sort out today: the control centre of my heart. If He is in charge, earthly and eternal impact are sorted. If He is not, nothing else will work. God's time of favour is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment