Romans 8:6 AMPC
[6] Now the mind of the flesh [which is sense and reason without the Holy Spirit] is death [death that comprises all the miseries arising from sin, both here and hereafter]. But the mind of the [Holy] Spirit is life and [soul] peace [both now and forever].
No matter how nice or firm a house is, once the owner decides that a new house is to be bullt, the owner has to draw up a new plan, factor in costs and then bring down the old house completely, before taking steps to build the new house. This is what the chapter from where the verse above is taken makes clear: it is not possible to build the new nature that Christ promotes on the ruins or foundations of the old nature. No matter how nice the old structure is, as long as the desire is a new one, the old has to be completely dismantled. If you do want to just patch up things and just go with the flow, a mix of the old and the new at the same time may be permissible from your own perspective but not from God's view.
There is a natural flow that comes from the control centre. If I am under the control and influence of the old nature, it is expected that my life will produce in line with that nature. The bible makes clear what the produce of the flesh looks like. In the same way, if I am under the control and influence of the Spirit of God, my desires and pursuits will also reflect this control. Indeed, the same bible also lays out what the evidence of such control looks like. This is why you do not argue with anyone about who s/he is; the fruits of that life will eventually reveal who is in charge. This is not a comparison scheme; it is first and foremost a personal conviction, which then drives life's pursuits, priorities and purpose.
The warnings in the verse just before the one above, as well as the focus of the devotion today, are worthy of focus. For every choice I make, there are both earthly and eternal implications. If I am focused only on the things that are of the earth, of course I will get the rewards of such focus, but that may be all I get. When the earthly phase is done, what is next? When all of life is gone and I am standing in front of the throne, what plea can I make that will speak for me in eternity? This is the reason why I must get the balance right; God saves me from sin, but then leaves me on earth to represent Him. He wants men to be drawn to the light in me. He wants men to be convicted of sin based on the evidence of my life.
If all I have is of this earth alone, then it is a miserable existence. The mind of the flesh, which is without the Holy Spirit, only leads to death, both physical and eternal. Flesh cannot inherit the kingdom of heaven, so all that belong to the earth must give way to that which is of the Holy Spirit. The power of sin has already been broken through the death and resurrection of Jesus, so I have no excuse for not depending on what has been settled to live a life free of sin. I have all I need in order to live in peace both down here and then inherit eternal life with God at the end of it all. There is no bigger or better package than this: earthly calm and eternal settlement. Do you have this God? God's time of favour is here.
No comments:
Post a Comment