Thursday, 24 September 2026

Sow Right!

Sow Right!

“ [Remember] this: he who sows sparingly and grudgingly will also reap sparingly and grudgingly, and he who sows generously [that blessings may come to someone] will also reap generously and with blessings.”
2 Corinthians 9:6 AMPC

Paul was writing to the church in Corinth, and he was addressing an important point that has generated a lot of noise all through the ages. This is the topic of giving. It is critical to note that a large part of the status, focus and priority of my heart will be revealed by what I do with what I have. At the start of the chapter from where the verse above is taken, Paul commended the church here for its clear willingness and eagerness to give to those in need. For Paul to note this and to write about it, it must have been quite obvious. Without making a public show of my charitable acts, is my heart completely free of the love of possessions or position or power? 

Where my heart is, there will my treasure be also. Whatever it is that I hold dear will drive all that I do, how I do them, and how much I am willing to give up. Another thing that Paul raised in this letter was the encouragement this church's generosity had given to other churches too. You may not intend to, and it must not be your desire to impress anyone, but let it be clear that whatever you do has an impact on other people. God is not unjust; if I am obedient to His instructions, He will make my life an example to be emulated. What am I known for? Is there any life that is grateful to God that I am alive? Again, the desire must not be to impress
.
That is the foundation to the verse above. If my heart is right, I know that all I hold is in trust for the One who owns all things. I am careful not to waste resources, but to apply them in a way that will maximise potential. Like a wise farmer, you do not go around and scatter precious seed in a land not ploughed or prepared for sowing. There is a preparation that is required for a good harvest. It is also a divine law that whatever you put in the ground must produce in multiple folds that which has been sown. You do not plant two grains of corn and then harvest two grains of corn. In the process of time, and the application of patience and preparation, the blessing of sowing is in its multiplication effect. 

This is why I must sow right. This is why I am deliberate about my choices and decisions. If I am grudgingly doing anything, how can I expect a bountiful response? If I am just focused on doing my own thing, not bothered about the needs of people around me, why would anyone also be concerned about me when I need help? The divine law of increase is very apt: it takes that which you sow and multiplies it. God's 100% blessing on my 0% effort will always amount to nothing. It is not in the value of what I give, but with the heart with which I give it. If it is done generously, expect manifold increase. That is God's promise, and as we know, He is faithful to His Word. God's time of favour is here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment